Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saved by the Tweets

The plan for our day off was very simple, all we had to do was make our way home to Stone Town from the north tip of the island.
But never take anything for granted in Africa.  I decided to head off home before the rest of the gang to get some work with data done and go to the market (also I don't really like the beach).  As soon as I got 10 minutes away, my car started making horrid noises.  I needed to call our friend Daude who rented us the cars, but unfortunately my vodacom call credit had run out.  Thankfully, I had some data left on my android so I was able to tweet the group for help. 
The cavalry arrived (liz-mo, caz-mo, and Niall-mo) and saved me from being stranded on the side of the road surrounded by curious children pressing their faces against my windows.  We then were able to call Daude and he sent a man out with a fresh car with haste.  Best rental car place ever!  (Www.zanzibarrentacar.com shout izout!)  So the cavalry kept me company while Daudes man worked his way across the whole island and also entertained the crew of kids as it expanded to over 20.  Caz and lizzy practiced some swahili and Niall showed the kids some of our mobile devices.  I was a bit frustrated with the car so I sat and watched, only contributing the music of T-pain which sparked a brief roadside dance party.  Eventually we all made it home for a nice family style italian meal topped off with some birthday chocolate for Cazoline.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment